No-Cook - 5 Minute - Calming Playdough

11:01 AM


With all this rainy weather, we've been feeling a little cooped up in the house, so I start looking for fun things to do to keep Aria busy and myself sane. We love Playdoh but there are a few downsides like the cost for a little container, the smell (am I the only one that can't stand that smell?), and I don't know what's in it*.  

Anyway, last week I decided I wanted to make our own, and found that most recipes required the ingredients to be cooked, ain't nobody got time for that - so I decided to work around it with hot water. IT WORKED! And I had the softest, best smelling playdough around in 5 minutes ;) 

I've been diving into essential oils, and am absolutely loving it. I use them everyday. From getting the girls to sleep, relieving stress, cleaning the house, immune support, and the list goes on.  One of my favorites is Stress-Away; a blend of Copaiba, Lime, Cedarwood, Vanilla, Ocotea & Lavender - a tropical getaway in a bottle. I use this all the time, diffusing during witching hour and it works wonders for the girls (and Seth & I ;). 

I added a few drops to this playdough, as it's kid-safe; turning this into a quiet, calming playtime activity for Aria while Emerson naps. 

For the hot water, we have an electric kettle, which is probably the most used appliance in our kitchen, so we can easily have hot water on hand, but you can also microwave a cup of water until hot, generally 1-2 mins. 



No Cook - 5 Minute Playdoh

1-2 cups All-purpose flour
2/3 cup Salt
2 tsp Cream of Tartar (stabilizer)
1 cup Hot Water
1 1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil
5-8 drops Stress-Away (or your favorite essential oil**)
5-10 drops food coloring, glitter etc.

Directions:

In a medium mixing bowl, mix 1 cup flour, the salt and cream of tartar together then whisk in the hot water, coconut oil, and essential oil until it starts to thicken and becomes tough to stir. Dive in with your hands (the dough should be warm- not hot) and knead until a soft dough forms. Like when you make cookie dough, have additional flour on hand to fold in. I ended up using almost another cup to reach the consistency I wanted.

Have fun!! Aria loved playing with it while it was warm too, as it was much softer. It did firm up like typical playdough as it cooled. Do allow to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.


** Young Living offers plenty of kid-safe oils, as well as a dedicated line of blends just for children. Lavender, Orange, Thyme & Frankincense are great kid safe alternatives. 

*If you search, they state that it's a secret proprietary blend. Okay, that's fair I suppose, and I did survive my childhood playing with it all the time, but I still kinda what to know.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe...it's FREE

Powered by Blogger.