Zucchini "Fettuccine" with Garlic Shrimp

7:49 PM

*Note, image thumbnails open with post, please click post title. 

The first year that Seth and I were married, we lived on pasta. Cheap, easy and you can add almost anything to it and it's a meal. Little did I know at the time that that very thing was contributing to feeling constantly ill.

Fast forward 6 years, I sometimes can't believe what I ate. My habits have changed immensely. Once I found out that gluten was causing all my problems and then learned how to identify it, I never looked back (actually, sometimes I peek).  Short version, I never eat pasta, and I don't really crave it much either. But what I do miss are some of the sauces, the cheese, the comfort of a creamy fettuccine Alfredo or gourmet raviolis will make my mouth water. I feel the recent change to cooler, drizzly weather has made me crave a little comfort food. What's one to do? - make it paleo style.


This version includes dairy, but all you have to do to change that is eliminate the cheese,  you'll still have a creamy, hearty and very savory dish. The rest of the recipe is made with dairy alternatives.

What's also fun is you can change up your 'noodles'. Cook up some spaghetti squash or peel you zucchini in whatever style suits you best. I might be the last person around that doesn't have a spiralizer, but I love my peelers, and the basic peeler (green shown below) offers wide, fettuccine-like noodles.


Zucchini "Fettuccine" with Garlic Shrimp

Ingredients: 

3 medium zucchini, peeled
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled, de-veined
2 tbsp ghee
3 tbsp gluten-free flour
1 cup canned coconut milk
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese*
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 bunch basil, chiffonade

Steps: 
1. In a large pan, heat water to rolling boil.
2. Peel zucchini in desired fashion into medium bowl.
3. Once water is boiling, add zucchini, blanche for 1-2 mins until soft, strain and set aside in a large bowl.
4. In the same large pot, add ghee and melt over med-high heat. Stir in gluten-free flour to make a roux. Add the coconut milk slowly, stirring until well combined.
5. Reduce heat to low. Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted and sauce starts to thicken. Add the garlic powder, salt & pepper. Simmer over low for 5-8 mins until sauce reaches desired consistency.
6. While sauce simmers, cook the shrimp:  In a medium saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat, add the minced garlic, cook 1 minute until fragrant. Add the shrimp (season with salt & pepper if desired). Cook 3-5 mins on each side, until pink and starting to brown.
7. Remove sauce and shrimp from heat, add to strained zucchini noodles. Top with basil and enjoy!



*For dairy-free omit the parmesan cheese, all other ingredients are dairy free. You'll still have a very savory and creamy sauce. 

If you end up making this recipe (or any others for that matter) be sure to come back and leave a comment or share a photo of social media and tag me (@mwheeler711 on Instagram). Or feel free to #barbellinthekitchen so that I see it. I love seeing and sharing your creations. It makes my day. <3





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe...it's FREE

Powered by Blogger.