Gluten-Free Overnight French Toast

7:00 AM


Breakfast is our most unpredictable time of the day for us. During the week, I tend to reach for cottage cheese & turkey for a high protein & low carb start to the day. Aria's requests include ice cream, goldfish, chocolate, cheese, oatmeal, popsicles... the list goes on. Lately she's been asking for Larabars, and will devour several of them. Emi could care less, as long as she gets to eat within 2 seconds of waking up. ;)

On the weekends, we must lose our minds because breakfast doesn't happen most of the time. We'll look at the clock, it's 11:30am. We haven't eaten anything but coffee.

So this recipe is the lovechild of two things. 1. I was determined to have breakfast Saturday morning. And it's been over three years since I've had eggs, it was time to try them again.

If you've followed along, you may know I developed a severe sensitivity to eggs while I was pregnant with Aria. It took a quite a few days of feeling the worst kind of sick, a debilitating kind of sick, to figure out that eggs were the cause. Eggs were my breakfast go-to for quick protein, and suddenly they were off the table.

Through an extensive amount of research, it's not uncommon to develop a food sensitivity while pregnant, and it can become a lifelong issue, but often times once mom discontinues nursing, her body "normalizes" in various ways and she may be able to reintroduce the offending food.

Emi has recently opted out of nursing, so the long awaited day came... and went wonderfully. I had NO REACTION! I was stoked. I had one serving per day for a couple days.. well, until the French Toast was gone. I've since had a little bit of hard boiled egg as well. Scrambled eggs, the original perp in this whole thing, is next.


Anyway, if you can eat eggs, and have a seat reserved on the sweet tooth train with me, this one's for you. We used store-bought gluten free bread (I'm dying to make some homemade bread to resemble the original, thick-cut French Toast slices of my childhood). We also had blueberries on hand, I'm sure blackberries, strawberries.. really any berry would be wonderful in this.

This comes together in 15 minutes, wrap it, toss it in the fridge, then throw it in the oven the next morning. Breakfast is served.

Ingredients: 

12 slices bread, (we chose gluten-free bread)
8 ounce package cream cheese, softened.
1 cup fresh blueberries
12 beaten eggs
2 cups milk
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup raw honey (or maple syrup)

Steps:

1.  Lightly grease a 9*13 inch baking dish. Arrange half of the bread in the dish, layering and overlapping them as you please. Cube the cream cheese and dot throughout, I used a butter knife and spread them a bit like you'd spread peanut butter. Sprinkle the cup of blueberries over the top.

2. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla extract, milk, and honey. Pour over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

3. Remove the bread mixture from the refrigerator approximately 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

4. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.


I whipped up a batch of homemade whip cream to dollop on top. Perfection.

Quick, go make this, then come back and let me know what you think.. as well as any personalized additions you make, I love to hear how you make these recipes better! <3


xoxo, McKenzie

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe...it's FREE

Powered by Blogger.