Recipe | Paleo Balsamic Roasted Beets

10:11 AM


I grew up eating canned, sliced, pickled beets. I could easily eat my weight in those. I love beets, and as I have become more aware of my diet over the past few years and try to eat food in it's least processed form, I tend to stray away from canned & packaged foods.

We live two miles away from two farms that open every summer and offer an amazing selection of local and northwest grown items. I end up out there at least once a week. The first summer we moved here I remember looking over the selection of veggies and realizing I didn't have a clue as to how to cook half of them.

That slowly changed. Every couple weeks I would select something I had never tried or cooked before and would learn how to. Once such example is fresh beets. Nutrient-rich, they now have a place in my veggie rotation.

"Beets are a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains. Betanin and vulgaxanthin are the two best-studied betalains from beets, and both have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support." source

"In recent lab studies on human tumor cells, betanin pigments from beets have been shown to lessen tumor cell growth through a number of mechanisms, including inhibition of pro-inflammatory enzymes (specifically, cyclooxygenase enzymes). The tumor cell types tested in these studies include tumor cells from colon, stomach, nerve, lung, breast, prostate and testicular tissue." source

Beets are also a fantastic source of vital micro-nutrients such as manganese, potassium, fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin C and iron. source

So, how do you cook them? Roasting or steaming are the most common methods. Keeping cook times under an hour helps to maintain the nutritive properties, so this recipe roasts them in 45 minutes and yields tender, flavorful beets that you can eat hot, or cold and add to salads. 



Paleo Balsamic Roasted Beets

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 4-6 medium beets
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt
  • course ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1.  Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. 

2.  Rinse the beets. Using a knife, remove the leaves and trim the excess root from the ends. Leaving the outer peel on, cut into bite-size (approx. 1 inch) cubes. 

3.  Place in a small baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Lastly, evenly pour the balsamic vinegar over the beets. 

4.  Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes, then remove the foil and continue to cook uncovered for 10 more minutes. Let cool and enjoy! 



I love these served with steak or grilled chicken. These are great to top a salad with too. Let me know if you try any variations or have any questions! I'd love to hear your feedback!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe...it's FREE

Powered by Blogger.