C-Section Recovery: Getting back in Shape

8:10 AM


First, I want to note that this is my story, and what worked for me to regain my strength and endurance after pregnancy and a c-section. Please seek the advice of your doctor for any questions/concerns and for a case by case analysis. Each individuals background, procedure and experience is different. 

I was blessed with a great pregnancy, no complaints. Of course there were things like getting up 3 times every night to pee and having a general feeling that I was a beached whale once I sat on the couch. But I truly cannot complain.

I also stayed active throughout. I'm thankful that I was able too. I was able to Crossfit on average 3x a week until about 38 weeks, when it became too uncomfortable and moving a barbell became more than a task.



Also, at 38 weeks pregnant we were informed that Aria was breech with no way to turn her around. A C-section it was. At that point my original plan for delivery went out the window and I became focused on a quick recovery and regaining my strength and endurance.

We went home with our new sweet bundle. Mom and baby happy and healthy.



Back in real life, no one had informed me of how helpless I would feel after a c-section. I could not even turn around in bed by myself. Seriously? I didn't see this on Pinterest. It did get better, but as a note for anyone looking at a c-section.. have lots of help and take your time. Lift nothing heavier than your baby. I hit a road bump 2 weeks after her birth which was a reminder I had to slow down.

It was frustrating at times, and even though my incision looked good, I could feel how weak I was. I could feel that I was not healed. My doctor told me it could take up to a year for the scar tissue to fully mend the underlying areas from such an incision.

On a happy note after a couple weeks of deflating and getting this mom-thing down I had my 6 week post-partum visit and was cleared for light exercise, warned not to overdo it. So I went for a walk, a turtle, walking in molasses-paced walk around the block. It went well.

I continued to just walk, and walk and walk. It wasn't until 10 weeks post-partum in which I was able to advance from my walking to a light jog. For one, running while pushing a stroller is ENTIRELY different than just running. It engages more muscles since you are pushing weight everywhere you go. I honestly believe that assisted in a quicker recovery - slowly strengthening my muscles without overdoing it.

Walking became jogging which became a goofy-ass stroller run, which then was my green light to start incorporating light-weight exercises. I was eager to regain my midsection, but I could feel my incision still had some mending to do. Many exercises you may believe are isolated to just your legs, arms, back or rear actually engage your core as well.

Keeping the weights very, very light I was able to do some limited exercises without causing discomfort in my abdomen such as body-weight quarter squats (shallow depth), shoulder press and floor press.

By August, at 3.5 months post partum, I was able to resume a light-weight version of my previous programming, still using caution and being aware of how I felt.

For example:
From my workout log on Aug 18th: 
Backsquats: 10x3 at (85#)
Halting Snatch Deadlift from hip 3x3 (60#)
Overhead Squat 3x5 (45#)

I realized I never documented my workouts in those first 3 months post-partum, life was crazy, days were long, nights even longer and my memory is a little blurry of this time. Geesh..those squishy newborns!

If anything I learned:

  • Go slow. Baby steps.

  • See how you feel - sometimes you will feel pretty darn good and then the next day you'll be in pain. This did happen to me a couple days, when I tried to start jogging sooner than I should have.

  • Walk. A lot. - If this is all you can do, do it. Moderation is good, but make it a goal to get out with the baby and walk each morning. It's good for both of you.

  • Yellow light - when you have been cleared and feel good, add in some other exercises; jogging, squats, lunges, press.. evaluate how you feel the next day.

6 months post-partum
9 months pregnant | 9 months post-partum


Wish you a fast and easy recovery! Feel free to send me your questions/comments.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe...it's FREE

Powered by Blogger.