White cake with Strawberry Frosting | GF | DF | EF

8:00 AM



I love cake.


I would eat it everyday if I could. In my pre-gluten-free days I could supply a village with cupcakes.. but when they started to really disagree with me I put my cupcake tins and frosting bags away for awhile.


Cupcake-making withdrawls are a real thing. I have experienced them. Shakes, sweats, cravings.. the whole frosted mess... just kidding. But I really wanted to do some baking. Now.




With Aria turning 1 year old soon.. (omg.. no, stay little!) I have planned to do a smash cake shoot with her, so I need to make a cake that she can eat.  I'll dive into detail on another post for how we came to find out, but Aria cannot eat dairy/soy and I have an intolerance to gluten and more recently eggs.. So my challenge was to make a cake that is not only gluten free, but egg and dairy free as well. Trial by fire is the best.






So after searching long and hard for something to go off of I found a baseline recipe on GoDairyFree.org.  I also had about 4lbs of fresh strawberries on hand after a Costco run and with this spring-like weather we've been having, strawberry frosting sounded perfect.


These came out soft and delicate with a great crumb and texture. The 'buttercream' was heavenly.. I won't admit how many mini cupcakes I really ate...




Note: I was able to make a double-layer smash cake in 2 ceramic ramekins and about a dozen mini cupcakes with this recipe. 

Ingredients
Gluten, Dairy and Egg-Free Vanilla Cupcakes:
  • 1-3/4 cups gluten free flour blend (I used King Arthur GF Flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 cup organic cane sugar
  • ⅓ cup neutral baking oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Dairy-Free Strawberry Buttercream:
  • ½ cup dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance), softened
  • ¼ cup organic Spectrum non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
  • 3-4 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh strawberries, pureed
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions

Gluten-Free Vanilla Cupcakes:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Line cupcake pans with paper cupcake liners or grease/flour a cake pan. 
  2. Sift together the flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In large mixing bowl, stir together the coconut milk, water and vinegar. Allow to sit for 1 minute to curdle.
  4. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture. Beat for 1 minute. The batter will become smooth and start to thicken.
  5. Pour the batter into your prepared cupcake pan.
  6. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes for standard cupcakes, 12 minutes for mini cupcakes or 35-40 mins for a small cake pan, or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
  7. Place cupcakes on cooling rack and cool completely.

Dairy-Free Strawberry Buttercream:

  1. To make buttercream, beat together the margarine with the shortening for 1 minute.
  2. Add the sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons strawberry puree and vanilla. Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
  3. Add another tablespoon or 2  tbsp of the strawberry puree if needed, and beat the buttercream until light and fluffy.
  4. Place in piping bag with large star tip and frost the cooled cupcakes/cake. Best enjoyed within 1 to 2 days.

How could I deny this little face the opportunity to practice her cake-smashing skills.. mini cupcakes for the win!







If you end up making this recipe (or any others for that matter) be sure to come back and leave a comment or share a photo of social media and tag me (@mwheeler711) or #barbellinthekitchen so that I see it. I love seeing and sharing your BITK creations. It literally makes my day


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hey there, I stumbled upon your blog by pure accident - thank God I did! My little girl is allergic to cow's milk protein and I am to soya. As I am breastfeeding her diet is mine as well. She will soon have her first birthday and I was trying to find some recipe for a smash cake for her - and some that I could make matching cupcakes to go along with it for the family. THANK YOU! I will certainly try this recipe. I am not sure I can find everything in the stores here (I live in Czech rep.) but I will try to do my best. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we use distilled white vinegar in place of regular white vinegar?

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe...it's FREE

Powered by Blogger.